Freeze dried and dehydrated meals can have a shelf life of up to 25 years if stored properly. To preserve your ready made meals, store them in a cool dry place, such as a basement, at room temperature or below. Avoid extreme temperatures as it may cause damage to the food. Also, it is best to keep it away from moisture and sunlight to guarantee it tasting delicious for years to come. The buckets are designed to protect the Metalite™ foil pouches from damage, water, and pests. Once the seal on the bucket is broken it will not compromise the integrity of the food because the Metalite™ foil pouches themselves are what hold the shelf life of up to 25 years. When the Metalite® foil pouches are opened, they are resalable to keep your meals a little bit longer. Once they are opened, they have a shelf life of up to 3-6 months.
Shelf Life Tips:
- Store it at room temperature or below.
- Avoid extremes in temperature.
- Keep it away from moisture and sunlight.
The most important factors in long-term shelf life foods are:
- Ingredients: Are the ingredients suitable for long-term shelf life? For example: even in ideal storage conditions studies show almonds may only keep for 12-24 months before they turn rancid.
- Moisture Free*: Is the product moisture free when packaged?
- Packaging: Packaging plays a crucial role in prolonging shelf life. Ideally packaging should provide an effective barrier against oxygen, moisture, light and insects.
- Oxygen Free: Is the product packaged with an appropriately sized oxygen absorber will continue to remove oxygen for years if used properly. Be wary of companies with extensive shelf-life claims where oxygen absorbers are not used.
- Storage conditions: a cool, dry location is ideal. Do your best to store your food storage items at or below room temperature.
This information is relatively conservative and meant to be used as a guideline, but is not a guarantee.
* Moisture Free – dehydrated and freeze-dried ingredients can reach 97%+ moisture free status.